Friday, February 24, 2012

Anfechtungen

Lately I have been reading the sermons of Martin Luther. I feel drawn to the words of this great reformer in an inexpressible way. I identify with Luther. Many of his struggles are the struggles which plague my life now. Luther was plagued by what he called Anfechtungen, the frequent anxiety of not measuring up to God's standards. I have been plagued lately by personal Anfechtungen. I have been assaulted by feelings of being ineffectual. I have been besieged by fears of failure. It is to Luther's solution that I cling now as always. Listen to his words. 
“So when the devil throws your sins in your face and declares that you deserve death and hell, tell him this: "I admit that I deserve death and hell, what of it? For I know One who suffered and made satisfaction on my behalf. His name is Jesus Christ, Son of God, and where He is there I shall be also!”
This is the answer I have held to dearly. By clinging to the cross, and the completed work of redemption of Christ on my behalf, I can confidently confront my fears, anxieties, and feelings of un-usefulness with the assurance that He has done what I could not. I can be confident, and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment